Wednesday 12 October 2016

Possession (2009)

A driven lawyer, Jess (Sarah Michelle Geller), lives a near-perfect life with her doting husband Ryan; the one thorn in their relationship comes in the shape of Ryan's violent and moody brother, Roman, who currently lives with them. 
The two brothers are involved in a head on crash, and both end up in comas.
Eventually, Roman wakes up... but he swears he is actually Ryan, even remembering things that only Jess and her husband could know.




Sometimes a good clever plot, particularly a mystery, is enough to make a film well worth your time,  while it remains average in all other respects; This remake of South Korean film Addicted (which I have not seen) is one such movie.

While there's nothing actually wrong with any aspect of the movie, there's nothing really to set it apart from any other modern thriller either; the sets all do their job, the film is well lit, it looks fine, the sound design is unobtrusive, the cast serviceable, there's nothing in the way of gore, or even scares... it's all as good as it needs to be, but really no better.

Thankfully, the story was sufficiently interesting to keep me watching.

There are a couple more tags I should really add to the movie, but to do so would give too much away, so with a plot I cant really discuss, and other aspects of the film leaving me with little to praise or insult, I'm left with little to do but tell you that this one actually is, despite what sounds like my lack of enthusiasm, absolutely worth your time.


Disclaimer:
If you look through the archives, you'll see that I've been using "Bought from Poundland" as a tag since at least 2011.


At the end of October 2013 I decided that all of my 2014 movies would be purchased from Poundland, and began buying up horror movies, to ensure I would have enough come October 2014.

In March 2014 I took a part time job at Poundland.

In accordance with the companies social media policy, in September 2014 I contacted Poundland's social media team to check that I would be okay to carry on with my plan to use the "bought from Poundland" tag.

I have been given the go-ahead on condition that I make the following clear:


All the reviews on this blog are entirely the opinion of Will Tingle, the reviews are not endorsed by Poundland in any way and (as should be obvious from some of the more scathing ones) are certainly not reviews I have been paid to write.

In short: The views expressed in this blog are mine alone, and do not necessarily reflect the views of Poundland or it's owners, shareholders, or  management.

No comments:

Post a Comment